Thursday 30 December 2010

Santa and the Reindeer ate it all!

Before I get to the stitching part of the this post I thought I would share this photo with you. My grandsons woke up Christmas morning and were astonished to find that Santa had drank his milk, ate his cookie and even the reindeer must have been hungry! It was priceless.

 


We had a great time at Christmas. Having small grandchildren who believe in Santa made the days so special. A visit from our oldest son and his family for a couple of days was awesome too. Even my sister came to stay for a couple of days and practiced "Shop Till You Drop" with us!! Some wonderful memories were added to my heart.

On the stitching front - I can now show you the stitched gift that occupied most of my stitching time for  2 months.
If you remember, back in August Missy Ann blew me away with the gorgeous stitched lighthouse box. Well, I thought a long time before I decided what to stitch for her birthday on December 27th. I wanted it to be something special and something very different.

Here's what I came up with - Memory Keeper by The Workbasket - stitched on 32 count mushroom lugana with a mix of Crescent Colors, Weeks Dye Works and Carrie's Creations hand dyed threads.

I learned a very valuable lesson - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! and when it says grid the fabric - do that!
After I cut the fabric, I realized I had cut it wrong. It took much finagling, wrangling, turning the air blue and the help of a very experienced quilter to make this into the envelope.

Included with the gift were some bunny thread drops and a pair of bunny scissors. The girl does love her bunnies!
I sent if off before I left Arizona and it arrived before Christmas. Missy Ann was a good girl and did not open it until her birthday. She has assured me that she liked her gift. I was so touched when she said she is putting the handmade christening gown that her grandmother made her inside it.

I did some more work on Hockey Santa and he now has a head. Lots of quarter stitches in this one!


I am still working on my Seasonal Exchange - about half way.

I am also moderating a new Mirabilia RR on the WWRRB starting January 1st so I've been busy picking patterns and gridding my fabric. The design is now on paper. I am trying to decide whether to leave "Titania" or replace her with either  "Cottage Garden Fairy" or "Woodland Fairy". Annette stitched "Titania" on my previous RR. Hmm, that means a little stash enhancement since I have neither pattern.


To all my wonderful friends out there in blogland, I wish you a safe, healthy, prosperous New Year! May every blessing fall upon you and your entire household in this new year.
To my fellow stitchers - I wish speedy needles, gorgeous fabrics, threads to fondle, charts to drool over and nary a frog!!! Right Harmien!!!

33 comments:

Missy Ann said...

I love my gift so much!!!

Re: MiraRR - I would use Woodland before Cottage because: the cottage fairy she is a larger scale than the other fairies. I'm not talking about stitch count, her face is quite literally larger than all the other fairies. She's beautiful, but I believe she should be stitched with mermaids and other ladies for harmony of scale.

Parsley said...

The photo of the boys is so precious!

Carol said...

Oh, how I miss the days when there were young children around the house at Christmas time! The boys look amazed that Santa had actually been there--so cute :)

Your gift to Missy Ann is incredible, Kathy--I'm sure she will treasure it!

Happy New Year to you and your family...

Rowyn said...

Awww that photo of your grandsons is priceless!

The memory keeper is amazing, what a super gift you made for Missy Ann.

Happy new year Kathy.

Jan said...

You are so right, that picture of your grandsons' is priceless!! Moments like that last a lifetime in our memories, and the picture will help those memories last even more.

What a lovely and thoughtful gift for your friend Missy Ann...I know she must have been so touched by your care in putting this together.

I hope that your 2011 is blessed in every way that you wish!

Karen said...

Your grandsons are adorable! I'm glad you were able to make your piece into an envelope. It looks great! I look forward to seeing more of hockey santa. Best of luck with your new RR.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
Your grandsons are so cute. One year when our son was 5 years old we put some cotton around the fireplace screen and left some cookie crumbs on a plate and and an empty glass of milk one morning. My son was so surprised to see Santa had made a visit. It was so classic. awww the memories we will cherish forever.

The envelope you finished turned out so well. I love those colors. How Happy your friend must have been.

Your Santa is looking great. I can't wait to see your RR in progress.

From my family to yours Happy New Year!

Sue said...

What you made for your friend is gorgeous!! Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

RIGHT!! No frogs allowed in 2011!! Your gift for Missy Ann is stunning!!
Happy New Year, Kathy!!

marylin said...

Happy New Year 2011, peace, love, health and
friendships marylin

Christina said...

Having small children in the house at Christmas brings all the magic back.
Your envelope finish is so lovely and very clever. I wouldn't have the patience to complete a finish like that...even if I read the instructions!
Happy New Year to you and your family Kathy.

Nicola said...

Children really do make Christmas just that bit more special don't they?

Your gift for Missy Ann is beautiful, not something I would ever dream of attempting myself!

Happy New Year to you and your family!!

Rebel In Ontario said...

I laughed at the photo of your grandsons....my two did the same thing last year but this year Caleb was all up in arms because the "reindeer were wasting the carrots" we left out for them because there were bits of carrot all over the front yard! Too cute. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time this year - save travels back to the warmer weather and see you in the Spring!
Happy New Year to you!

Einschies blog said...

Kathy the pic with the two boys is soooo lovely;-)) We don´t have this tradition here in Germany but I know it....I guess they can´t believe all is gone;-)))

Happy new year and lots of fun with the Mirabilia RR, would love to do one too for a long time but I am not sure if I can handle it actually;-))

Gaby

Katrina said...

What a gorgeous gift!!!! Love it.

Glad you had a nice Christmas and happy New Year too :-).

Lynn said...

That picture of your grandsons is priceless! I'm glad you've enjoyed your visit home and I wish you a safe return to Arizona.
Your gift for Missy Ann is spectacular! Well done Kathy. I'm sure she's more than thrilled with it.
Best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year! I look forward to getting together with you in 2011.

Daffycat said...

Awww...That picture of the kids is priceless, Kathy!

Best wishes in the New Year!

Myra said...

I admired your piece on Missy Ann's blog - what a beauty! The pic of the boys is priceless. Happy New Year!

Blu said...

What an adorable picture of your grandkids!

I saw your finish on Missy's blog! What a stunning gift!

Lucy said...

Your Grandsons will love that pic when they are 20 something! Happy New Year!

Brigitte said...

What a wonderful gift this envelope is. A real treasure.
All the best for the New Year and lots of happy hours with your grandchildren and with your stitching.

sandra said...

Wonderful envelope!
Have a great 2011! Hugs!

Beatrice said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful Christmas with the family.
Missy Ann must be thrilled with her Memory Keeper! It's stunning!
P/S I started Bagatelle and posted it on my Blog!

stitchingwithaview.blogspot.com

Did you start yours?

dragonxser said...

beautiful stitching Kathy! Sounds like your Christmas was delightful - and I hope your New Year is the same!

Siobhán said...

I love that pic of your grandsons!! As they say, a picture says a thousand words, and that is just priceless. :)

Your gift to Melissa was absolutely amazing!! Love your WIPs, too.

Meari said...

Love the story about your grandsons :)

Your memory envelope turned out nice even if you did have problems. Great job.

Looking forward to seeing your next Miribilia RR.

Anonymous said...

Love the envelope, such a beautiful and thoughtful present

Jenny said...

I just finished commeting on Missy's blog how wonderful your envelope is... just awesome!

On the Mira RR I agree with Missy - Cottage Garden Fairy isn't really the same scale. I'd have to check on Fairy Flora to be sure, but I suspect she isn't the same scale either. Have you thought about Aida? She might be a nice addition too. :)

Michele B. said...

How adorable is that photo? I miss those days... Love your envelope - what a special gift. The sayings on it are perfect. Happy New Year!

Gillie said...

Oh my word, the air would have been purple here let alone blue! Well done to you and helper in getting it worked out. It is Gorgeous (with a big G), it really is. Have a Happy 2011 stitching and thinking of all those lovely memories!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a gorgeous gift and so much hard work went into it!

Lori said...

Is it too late to join the mira RR?If not please email me the info

Kathy A. said...

Lori - I do not have a contact for you. Could you please email me at drewsgrands@hotmail.com